"Fashions fade, style is eternal." -YSL

Roots

While BU was on spring break mid-March I went to NY instead of flying home to CA. My parents and I stayed in the city for a few days and visited with old friends. It was fun being back where I was born and interesting to see the city from an older perspective. 
When my mom was in her twenties she worked for artist LeRoy Neiman in New York City. Neiman is famous for his paintings of sports figures and celebrities, such as Muhammad Ali, he created the Femlin character for Playboy publications for Hugh Hefner, and has sketched dozens of famous sports events, derbies, and sceneries and has earned countless awards and features for his art. He is known for using extremely brightly and energetic colors and has always had a signature mustache. It was seriously an honor to have met him when we visited and he gave me valuable love life advice: basically to "hold the reins" because I am "a woman who should be in charge." Sweet! 

 I took a few pictures of paintings he had in his studio (such as my favorite, the one of the Kobe) but I also included a few other of his famous works. Leroy Neiman turns 90 this year. Check out his website here: LeRoy Neiman

After meeting with Leroy, my mom and I took a trip to the old neighborhood, Washington Heights. It was crazy to go back to the park I played in when I was two and just how different my life is now. Although I love being a California girl, I have so much pride for where I'm from as well. 




Follow Two Coast Love

1 comment: